Friday, March 27, 2009

In My Mind


This weeks Sunday Scribblings topic - Aging. For this I submit one that is already written. Conveniently, it comes ready made with the music. Hope you enjoy.

These bones grow old, they are not surrounded by
The dreams and the vibrance of youth
In the day I never knew hindsight, never saw beyond the horizon
Only lived for the here and now, just today, just today
And the thoughts of who I might be one day
Now I’m staring in the mirror at a man, just a man
Not a boy with wings and a prayer
For I have tied so many strings and accumulated things
I am a locomotive with a train hitched to my back
There are no roads to take only endless miles of track

In my mind I’m still eighteen
Except for the places I’ve been
And the things I have seen
There’s been a lifetime in between
But in my mind I’m still eighteen

Every morning when I wake I am always in between
The things I’ve done and the things I dream
I am the fulcrum, at one side is the weight
Of who I am, the other who I might be
If I might make it to another day, just one more day
At dusk do we sleep in the dark of Eternity
Or do we open the Gates of Infinity
It seems too much to ask for we never get an answer
We just put our faith with ministers and mystics
While we blind our eyes with sleep at the end of a day

In my mind I’m still eighteen
Except for the places I’ve been
And the things I have seen
There’s been a lifetime in between
But in my mind I’m still eighteen

In my mind…

7 comments:

  1. An excellent appreciation of age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done! Your lyrics were rich with feeling...this was my first experience hearing Sunday Scribblings in song form. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Love the wistfulness, especially in the chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the song and lyrics! I've listened to it twice, now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard the song, but the words 'in my mind I'm still eighteen' do resonate.

    Fits the theme nicely, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very good. A heavy dose of truth and feelings there. Keep writing!!!


    PS:I am a lyricist myself looking for musicians to add life to my words. Visit my spot while free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ""In my mind I’m still eighteen
    Except for the places I’ve been
    And the things I have seen
    There’s been a lifetime in between
    But in my mind I’m still eighteen ""

    Very nicely executed, not only these lines but the complete piece..

    Keep going..and i am gonna be a follower..

    ReplyDelete