Monday, April 6, 2009

Ode to the Yard

This weeks Sunday Scribblings prompt "Celebrate". This poem celebrates spring and my love for the game of baseball. This Sunday is opening day to a new season, perfect timing!

On the diamond, as a boy, was where I want’ to be
My heroes wore the red pinstripes and played in South Philly
Schmitty, Lefty, and the Bull, Tugger and Bob Boone
Brought the title home at last and fans began to swoon
They fueled my dreams and made me crave the happenings of spring
The smell of dirt and oiled leather brings back everything
Twenty and eight years had passed and I’m no longer young
My son, as I, has watched this team, another title rung
In flowing through this arc of life, here again upon the diamond
I as coach and torch bearer to a younger generation
The batsman’s swagger, the pitcher’s wind, a duel over the pill
Will the batter crush the ball or pale to the man on the hill

4 comments:

  1. I'm a "Philly Girl" even though I haven't lived there in a long time. My Dad was a Phillies fan.He loved baseball. Every time I see the Phillies, I think of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, that's enough to make me like the sport. Usually, there's not enough action for this hockey fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one. Time moves on but some memoirs dont.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cool. must be such a rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete