Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Edge of Night

Wicked is the blues.  Gospel's Judas, disciples of the same vein.  Rhythmic, soulful undercurrents, they stand upon the same tenents.  One begging to be lifted upward, the other being pulled below.  Arresting is the empathy of the blues.  The pressing weight of life.  The simple diversions of carnal pleasure and mirth.  By day we carry the stone, sharing in the festival of music upon the edge of night.


"The Edge of Night" 

On the edge of night I can see your light come shining through
On the edge of day well I can see the darkness in your eyes
Ain't no hiding from your disguise

In the light of day your soul is sleeping like the grizzly's winter way
In the light of day you wear the face of a clown on circus day
The truth is hiding behind your eyes

The feeling comes when the sun goes down 
And the music of your soul comes around
There is nothing but you in the way and don't say
That you can't let go of the feelings inside
'cause the music must come from your soul in some way
Today...

When darkness falls you break the walls you mended all day long 
When darkness covers all you bask your naked soul in warmth of song
The truth of passion can't be wrong

On the edge of night you spread your spirit wings and rise in flight
On the edge of day you come to roost from the heights of open sky
Take the time to stop and wonder why

The feeling comes when the sun goes down 
And the music of your soul comes around
There is nothing but you in the way and don't say
That you can't let go of the feelings inside
'cause the music must come from your soul in some way
Today...

Three Word Wednesday offered these:  Arresting, Rhythmic, Wicked.

The Edge of Night - as performed at the Winedale Tavern, Dallas, Texas, February 1996


24 comments:

  1. Wow, this is just such a rich post. Loved what you did with the words. You feel the angst, the weight of the words. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, cool post, loved the music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The congregation is fed! New album's out! Great meditation to start: Gospel's Judas - hoolawd. That's rich for the blues and Judas (the traditional or the reconstructed one).

    Great groove, great lyrics (great images: grizzly's winter way; When darkness falls you break the walls you mended all day long), great tongue-twisted phrasing at the end of the chorus...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A rare feast of delight! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ThomG - Thanks for that Thommy! Those words invoked the blues immediately for me. The song, already written, expresses my passion for it.

    Andy - So glad you enjoyed the music! Thanks for coming around. I've been short on motivation of late.

    Paschal - This may have been a path of least resistance for me this time around. But I can't forget it's still new to others reading it here. I remember watching an interview with Ray Charles discussing the views on blues in the Baptist church and it's relationship to gospel music. I don't think he mentioned Judas, but the analogy casts a similar shade, I think. So glad you're digging the groove! It's always done it for me. I love going there every time. Frost's Mending Wall is one of my favorite poems, and that line is an intentional invocation. The music came first and it was something of a puzzle putting that final phrasing at the end of the chorus. Nice to know it is well received. And thanks for prompting me back to the prompts!

    Tumblewords - Your compliments are always well received! Thank you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool that Yankee Frost morphs to blues in the night...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one was special. Excellently done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scualito, call me karma chameleon. I morphed Mr. Shakespeare into the blues back in Bleeding Rock if you'll remember. I'm never one for convention. We'll call it the Bow Tie Blues...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another good time. Enjoyed this, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tony - Thanks for that!

    Susan - Judging from the heat over at your place, I'd say good times were had by all!

    Sarah - Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rich, evocative, and informative, too. A girl can learn to love a post like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So this is the Winedale Tavern. Something like a year before you left. And I was just a few miles away, over on Audelia and Walnut. I’m sure on that cold winter night I was awakened from a dead sleep to a deep, dreamy voice, and I just didn’t know why. And here I am thirteen years later hearing it again, reading “rhythmic, soulful undercurrents,” affected by you all over again : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. bunnygirl - A guy can learn to love a comment like this! Thanks for stopping in.

    Alicat - We were standing at the crossroads. Just happened to be different days! Glad it wasn't my snoring that woke you up. You talked about melting down on the opening of The Bayman's Blues. You melt me down with feedback like this! Lord have mercy! Glad to have you all over again.

    Jeeves - Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mercy, indeed! We should have a cigarette now. Or I’ll have one and you can have a cigar. And we’ll watch the blurry lines of smoke rise all lazy, curling themselves into shapes of sails and wisps of wind and the kinds of fruits on distant shores : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, those foreign forbidden fruits. Can you blow smoke rings? I love a woman who can blow smoke rings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One early fall night in ’88, born and raised Texan Rick Harper taught me how. It was at a party at a friend’s pIace in Garland. I was high on good beer and holding court outside on the front stoop shooting my mouth off about living one’s dreams. Only Rick knew I was too chicken to live my own dreams and he whispered in my ear, “Can you blow smoke rings, too?” I smiled and said, “Well, no,” so he taught me. “Now you’re action, too,” he said.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that's some righteous mentoring there. I've never been good at smoke rings. I like to be entertained. I'm easily amused. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL! Easily amused...yeah, me, too. And I’m still a lotta talk. You know it’s been so long I probably couldn’t blow a smoke ring to save my sorry lil ass :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked that music!

    stolen from the air


    Please don't forget to post your creative works at Monday Poetry Train Revisited too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. on the edge of day you come to roost from the heights of the open sky - wow, sigh of relief, change from work clothes into tight jeans, take the hair down, put on the dancing shoes (the ones we might not dance in but they make our butts look good LOL). Head down to the pub to listen, drink, see and be seen. Good memories.

    ps - The comments on this blog are slipping over the edge of night, they are nearly book-worthy themselves. Fanning myself a bit here! Think I'll go see if I can still blow smoke rings....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pure awesome-ness!! :-)
    Lana C.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lana - Thanks! This song was a gift to me from Dallas, Tx. Blues bonefides!

    ReplyDelete