Monday, June 1, 2009

Officer Ed

Well they said that Ed was a neighborhood guy
He never walked by without saying “Hi”
Just a township cop on the Jersey Shore
He won’t be making his rounds no more

Seems this soldier of justice in this murderous age
Was blinded by fate and the fire of rage
He packed up his sidearm and his pump action shot
And decided to fix what the courts would not

Well it’s the final drive of Officer Ed
Only God knows the demons he had in his head
By the time he was done there were six people dead
Including the life of Officer Ed

Eddie’s chief of police was the last in the news
But the chief ran to safety deep in the woods 
The streets were crawling with a hundred-plus blues
As New Jersey’s finest searched for one of their hue

Well it’s the final drive of Officer Ed
Only God knows the demons he had in his head
By the time he was done there were six people dead
Including the life of Officer Ed
The last bullet he fired was in his own head....

Sunday Scribblings #165, Covert.  This weekend grabbed my bull by both horns.  I came up for air last night but was running on fumes.  Covert could not connect to synapse.  Until my brain sparked into action on this morn'.  Officer Ed is a song I wrote a few years back.  Based on a true story about a New Jersey policeman who went on a killing rampage (read here).  No multi-media today, I never recorded it.  In fact I haven't thought about it in years.  But imagine a driving mid-tempo rocker delivered with the fire and gravel of The Boss, Bruce Springsteen - patron saint of New Jersey.  (If I do record this and you would like to hear it, be sure to have the comments emailed to you.  I will update this post if/when  I have something to share)   

:-)

11 comments:

  1. Funny as I was reading I was hearing a ballad..I love this, I hope you do record it - I'd like to hear it :)


    http://www.delenemartin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words. This happens increasingly more often. Maybe not always a cop, but the lunacy of lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With Boss-like fire and gravel…ohhh yeah! I’m signed up : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cop turned murderer...Well well...this was an interesting read.

    http://songofsea.wordpress.com/2009/05/31/covert-intentions/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say, great ballad and that which rhymes. You made my day!

    I dream in brown

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh la: a sad song. "Mr. Lutes" seems the perfect name, I'm not sure why. Next to last stanza is my favorite.

    Lotta deranged Eds out there in the world. One such Ed (Ed Cates), a JacksonMississippi former city councilman, faked his death (faked his: the body in the burnt up car was not fake), only to re-emerge weeks later in letters to his "widow" as General Kurtz (following the Joseph Conrad / Apocalypse Now lead, but promoting himself, note). Since I worked for the Mayor the same time that EC was in office, you can imagine that his adventures were fire for this impressionable imagination...

    Fire up the studio on this one, hermano...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I posted the Ed story (he morphed to Ned) over in Murat-ville, as a tribute to the Peace Officer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee - Thanks, I hope when you do hear it will be to your liking. Glad the lyric supports the intent.

    Tony - Yes, you are so right. It's frightening how so many are so ready to kill.

    Miss Alicat - Grrrrrr!

    SOS - It is a compelling story.

    G'tami - Wow! I'm glad to hear that!

    Pascual - Funny how the sound of words invoke emotions. Glad I could rattle your brain amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MiguelitO: Your fans out here want to know when your next album is coming out...

    Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scualito, thanks for checking in. Regretfully, last week ran me ragged, and this week I've crashed hard. Trying to work my way back, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful play.
    And the cop shooting himself justified the demons in his head.

    ~Harsha

    ReplyDelete